The questions review the material covered in this series. You may wish to write out the answers, but do not send your answers to us for grading. They are for your personal use only. This section reviews the major concepts and the general story flow of the books of Psalms through the Song of Songs.
1) What does the word Psalms mean?
2) How is the book of Psalms divided?
3) What does the book teach us about God?
4) How does the book apply to your life today?
5) Why are there so many types of psalms? How can the different types help us in our prayers?
6) What purposes do the psalm superscriptions serve?
7) What lessons can we learn from the hymns of praise?
Articles in “Exploring the Word of God: Books of Poetry and Wisdom”
8) What do the songs of thanksgiving teach us?
9) What does the term selah denote?
10) How was music used in ancient Israel?
11) What instruments were used during those times?
12) What is the key to biblical poetry?
13) What are the two main elements in the prayer of petition?
14) What is the characteristic feature of the imprecatory psalms?
15) What can we learn from the prayers of petition?
16) Why do we often find mood changes within a prayer of petition?
17) What themes are emphasized in the royal psalms?
18) What do the Yahweh-Kingship psalms emphasize?
20) What is the message of the songs of confidence?
21) What is the characteristic feature of the acrostic psalms?
22) What is the purpose of the wisdom psalms?
23) Why is Psalm 23 one of the best-loved passages in all the Bible?
24) What metaphors are used in Psalm 23?
25) How do Psalms 113 – 118 give praise to God?
26) What is the purpose of Psalm 119?
27) How did the Psalms influence the New Testament writers?
28) How have the Psalms influenced Christian worship through the ages?
29) What are the chief features of the Songs of Ascents?
30) During what festival were the sukkoth used?
31) How does the book of Psalms conclude?
32) What do several of the psalms prophesy about Jesus Christ?
33) How can the Psalms help you express your own thoughts in prayer to God?
1) What is the purpose of wisdom literature?
2) What does the book of Proverbs teach us about God?
3) How does the book apply to your life today?
4) From what standpoint is the book of Proverbs written?
5) What are the benefits of wisdom? How are wisdom and folly portrayed?
6) Apart from giving sound advice, what else does Proverbs teach?
7) What purpose do formal structures such as alphabetizing poems serve in Proverbs?
8) What seven things are detestable to God?
9) What is the result of adultery? What metaphors are used to portray this result?
10) Why should we always have a respectful fear of God?
11) What writing instruments were used by the ancient Hebrews?
12) What do the proverbs say regarding wealth and poverty? What do they say about the value of work?
13) What varied functions did the scribes perform in the ancient Near East?
14) What do the proverbs say about correction and reproof?
15) What can we learn from Proverbs about how to use the tongue?
16) What do the proverbs say about gossip and talebearing? What do they say about lying and boasting?
17) What observations did Agur make?
18) What was Lemuel taught by his mother?
19) What is the character of the Proverbs 31 woman? How can this portrait inspire women of today?
20) Does Proverbs 31 apply only to married women?
21) Why is Proverbs 1:10-19 a matter of life and death?
1) What does the word Ecclesiastes mean?
2) What is the special emphasis of Ecclesiastes?
3) What are the limits of wisdom?
4) What does the book teach us about God?
5) What can Ecclesiastes teach us about work?
6) How does the book apply to your life today?
7) What was Solomon’s thesis in Ecclesiastes?
8) What were Solomon’s reflections upon his life?
9) What does Solomon say about death? What conclusions does he draw from the brevity of life?
10) What does Ecclesiastes say about time and seasons?
11) How does Solomon continue his discussion of death?
12) What further observations and reflections does Solomon make?
13) How does Solomon conclude his bitter presentation?
14) What can we conclude from Solomon’s recorded experiences?
15) What was wrong with Solomon’s approach?
16) How does the New Testament go beyond Solomon’s teaching?
Song of Songs
1) What have been the traditional Jewish and Christian interpretations of the Song of Songs?
2) What interpretation do contemporary scholars emphasize?
3) What does the book teach us about God?
4) What does the book teach about sexual love?
5) How does the book apply to your life today?
6) Which New Testament scriptures help us better understand Song of Songs?
7) What is the purpose of garden imagery in Song of Songs?
8) How is beauty conveyed in Song of Songs?
9) What can the book teach us about esteem?
10) What other lessons can husbands and wives learn from Song of Songs?
11) What can Song of Songs teach us about our relationship with God?
12) What is the significance of myrrh, nard and cinnamon in Song of Songs?
13) What do lilies and pomegranates represent in Song of Songs?
14) How do the metaphors in the song to the Shulammite work?
15) What is the tone of the poetic description in Song of Songs?
16) How do the lovers praise each other in this book?
17) How does Song of Songs foreshadow our ultimate relationship with Christ?